May 19, 2013

Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins


Back in July of this year, I did my surgery rotation with some med students from other medical schools. One of these students was paired up with me on my surgical team. The lovely Anna (said student) from Jefferson recently shared with me this recipe and I had to replicate! 


She suggested that I make these muffins mini and she was right! They're filled with mini chocolate chips so every single bite is absolutely peppered with chocolate and fresh banana flavors. If you've ever had a slice of Starbucks chocolate chip banana bread, this is reminiscent of those flavors but without the artificial banana aftertaste. I bet these would be awesome as a full banana bread loaf as well!


Both my running buddy and my husband both immediately popped 3 or 4 into their mouths once they tried these. They're super moist, chocolate-y and yet banana filled as well!


I've got some people to thank for helping me with residency applications and I think these little guys will do just wonderfully in a thank you basket.

Mini Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Adapted from littlebcooks

1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large mashed bananas
3/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup melted and cooled butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mini (so cute!) chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and either line or spray your mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
Mix together your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, mix together your smashed bananas, sugar, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Slowly incorporate your flour mixture into this banana bowl until well incorporated.

Fold in your mini chocolate chips until evenly dispersed. Fill your muffin tins about 3/4 full. I used a heaping, heaping tablespoon as a measurement and tried to keep the batter amounts relatively uniform from tin to tin.

Bake for 16 minutes and let them cool before digging in. Or not...they're yummy warm as well! Also, Anna told me that she added in walnuts to hers. I didn't get a chance to do this but it sounds so good! I'm definitely going to be using this again in larger muffin or loaf pan form.

Enjoy!
Sam

1 comment: