August 15, 2013

Olive Oil Almond Orange Cake


I spent an afternoon on the phone fighting with insurance companies. During which time, I made a cake. Also - we're having a guest over tonight (Hi Mike!) and I figured a cake would be fitting.


The recipe calls for "finely ground almonds". Well, I didn't have that. So I just threw slivered almonds into a food processor and called it fine enough for me. I also don't have a grater here in boston, so the orange zest was cut into fine pieces by hand. This cake was quite rustic - in a lovely way.


After a tasting of said fruity, almond filled cake, I also decided that it needed chocolate. I was fighting with the insurance company after all. Chocolate was a must. Speaking of must, I must say that this cake certainly helped to take the edge off.

Olive Oil Almond Orange Cake
Adapted from refinery29 (who got it from Cat Cora)

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup finely ground almonds (pre-ground or grind yourself! the finer the better)
Zest of one orange

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine your olive oil, powdered sugar, and eggs in a bowl and whisk until well incorporated.

(Funny story...in addition to not having ground almonds or a grater...I also don't have a whisk. Two forks do quite well though, in case anyone was wondering.)

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, almonds, and orange zest.

Finally combine the two bowls and stir until well mixed. Plop into a greased 9x9 pie pan (or pan shape of your choice) and bake for about 35-40 minutes.

Let your cake cool and then top with more powdered sugar and if you desire, chocolate!.

Enjoy!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment